Detective Kevin Coffey, our founder, offered advice on protecting your passport on Rudy Maxa World Travel, America’s # 1 Travel Radio Show. You can hear the short segment here:
Following is a summary of the tips he offered the listeners.
What is best? Using the hotel safe or carrying your passport on your person.
1. Use the hotel safe. There’s a greater chance you’ll lose it or that it’ll be stolen from your bag or pocket than it being stolen from the safe. Plus you can use a secondary lock hotel room safe for additional security.
Advice regarding your passport before you travel
1. Get the mobile passport app by the US government, It helps get you through passport and immigration control. It helps you get through 25 US airports and 3 cruise ports. Find it here https://mobilepassport.us/
2. Get traveler insurance that covers costs associated with lost passports such the cost of a later flight home as you await your replacement passport.
3. Check the expiration date on your current passport. You should have at least six months left on it from your return home date. Use google calendar to remind when you need to apply for a new passport.
4. Look at the expiration date of your children’s passports. They expire every five years versus the passports for adults which expire every 10 years.
5. For women, this usually applies to women who have recently married and are going on their honeymoon or have divorced. Do not change your name after you’ve purchased your airline ticket. The name on your airline ticket must match the name on your passport.
6. Get a second passport if you plan to visit a country that will deny a visa due to the fact that your passport contains markings or visas showing you traveled to certain other countries.
7. Get a US passport card is design for travel. The passport card is a wallet-size travel document that can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings or ports-of-entry by sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card provides a smaller, more convenient, and less expensive alternative to the passport book for those who travel. It’s also good to carry on your person and keep your passport locked up in your room safe.
America’s #1 Travel Radio Show is hosted by Rudy Maxa and is aired on over 385 affiliates nationwide. Hear more broadcasts and visit the show site here: