No Passport? No Problem!

BY Travel Writer

No passport? No problem that is if you are starting your travel from a US location and want to visit a tropical destination that is a US territory. Consider Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands as your next getaway destination. Besides not needing a passport which can be expensive to get  ($165 per traveler) additional benefits of visiting any of these locations is that the currency in use is the US dollar and English is spoken there. Additionally, your flight options are good as many US carriers have flights there.

Here are the details on acceptable travel IDs.

U.S. Territory Travel Document Requirements for passengers traveling from the US, and not a foreign location. Passengers 18 years of age or older are required to have a valid, current U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID that contains your name, date of birth, gender, expiration date and a tamper-resistant feature for travel to or from a U.S. Territory (Guam, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands). Expired documents are not accepted. The following IDs are accepted:
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS “Trusted Traveler” cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Military ID
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Border Crossing Card
  • DHS-designated enhanced driver’s license
  • Drivers’ licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by a Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent) that meets REAL ID benchmarks (All states are currently in compliance.)
  • A Native American Tribal Photo ID
  • An airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
  • A Registered Traveler Card (that contains your name, date of birth, gender, expiration date, and a tamper-resistant feature)
  • A foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver’s license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) card
  • Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)

Non-US/Canadian citizens are not required to carry their passports if they have documents issued by the U.S. government such as Permanent Resident Cards. Those who do not should be carrying their passports while visiting the U.S.

If you do not have acceptable ID you may be subject to additional screening.

Children under the age of 18 traveling with an adult are not required to show ID at time of check-in.

Children ages 15-17 traveling alone need one of the following:

  • Driver’s license
  • Passport
  • Credit card
  • School ID
  • Company ID
  • Library card
  • Birth certificate
  • Social Security card
  • Organization ID (such as athletic club, etc.)
  • Proof of auto insurance in passenger’s name

Children ages 5-14 traveling alone are not required to show ID at time of check-in, however, they are encouraged to carry some form of ID during travel.

Forgot Your ID?

In the event, you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete a form to include your name and current address and may ask additional questions to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You may be subject to additional screening. You will not be allowed to fly if your identity cannot be confirmed, you chose to not provide proper identification, contact the TSA to learn more.


Travel Gear YOU NEED to protect your identity from scammers:

Passport passport, passport wallet
Leather Passport Case

Secures your personal information using it’s RFID Blocking Feature.
Learn More

Compact Passport Wallet

Wear it 3 different ways. Features RFID and a cut-proof strap to protect your valuables.
Learn More

RFID Blocking  Sleeves

Value 10 pack. Blocks RFID frequency from reading your cards or passport.
Learn More